The word "lion" in Revelation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ How Near Armageddon Forum ]

Posted by Elana Janson on July 11, 2011 at 15:12:54:

The word “lion” in Revelation

The purpose of this post is to illustrate how I believe the symbolism of the “lion” in Revelation reflects on the present time. According to my understanding of Revelation the repetition of words have a special function in the analysis of the prophecy. The repetition of words enhances and broadens meaning and words can also be taken to Scripture to further elucidate understanding of the symbolism.

Revelation reveals signs of the end time in nature and in the seasons, but one should not overlook the revelations in the history of the nations through which the testimony of Jesus Christ spread to the ends of the earth. Revelation quite clearly states in Rev 10:11 “Thou (John) must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings.” The image of the “lion” in Revelation reveals the conflict through the ages and particularly in the end time between the “beast” and the Trinity for the souls of mankind.

The positions of the word “lion” in Revelation.

The word “lion” appears in Rev 4:7; 5:5; 10:3 and 13:2.

John saw in his vision the throne of Almighty God. One of the four living creatures (the first) was “like a lion” (Rev 4:7). In this vision he saw the following:

Rev 4:6-8

Before the throne there was a sea of glass, like crystal. And in the midst of the throne, and around the throne, were four living creatures full of eyes in front and in back. 7 The first living creature was like a lion, the second living creature like a calf, the third living creature had a face like a man, and the fourth living creature was like a flying eagle. 8 The four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. “

The four living creatures that John saw symbolize Gods communication of judgment to man. In the Old Testament the beasts seen by Daniel and Ezekiel (that are similar to these, but not the same) conveyed symbolically how the sinful nature of man would bring about adversity and the fall of nations.

The symbolism of the living creatures in the above verses in Revelation specifically reveals the power of God opposed to the power of evil. Through the symbolism we learn that He is in his greatness in control of both good and evil. Because Revelation relates specifically to the time after the coming of the Christ, the symbols of the “lion”, “calf”, “man” and “flying eagle” reveal that the prophecy of Revelation has to do with what is going to happen to the nations after the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. The appearance of the beasts as “lion”, “calf”, “man” and “flying eagle” relate that the fall of the nations will have to do with man influenced by that which is ‘of the earth’. These are all creatures of the earth. The “eyes in front and in back” indicate symbolically that although man will be influenced by that which is of the earth the power of the Holy Spirit (eyes) will be a counter force to foresee that the truth and the testimony of Jesus Christ prevails.

See also Romans 1:23. In this verse Paul uses similar images to illustrate how man moves away from God and becomes like to creatures of the earth.
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

The image of the “lion” in Rev 4:7 is therefore two-fold: The powers of the forces that deceive man are strong (as the lion), but the ‘eyes’ of the Spirit of God is everywhere.

The word “Lion” appears in Rev 5:5

Rev 5:5 “And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed, to open the book and to loose the seven seals thereof.”

In this verse the “Lion of the tribe of Judah” is Jesus Christ, whose testimony shall prevail to the end time. Through the power of the Holy Spirit He shall overcome the onslaught of the beast, and open unto mankind the message of the book of Revelation.

The end time

Note that the image of the “lion”, signifying the powerful one is used in relation to the end time and the opening of the book of Revelation.

The image of the lion in Rev 10:3

Rev 10:1-7: 1 I saw still another mighty angel coming down from heaven, clothed with a cloud. And a rainbow was on his head, his face was like the sun, and his feet like pillars of fire. 2 He had a little book open in his hand. And he set his right foot on the sea and his left foot on the land, 3 and cried with a loud voice, as when a lion roars. When he cried out, seven thunders uttered their voices. 4 Now when the seven thunders uttered their voices,[a] I was about to write; but I heard a voice from heaven saying to me,[b] “Seal up the things which the seven thunders uttered, and do not write them.”
5 The angel whom I saw standing on the sea and on the land raised up his hand[c] to heaven 6 and swore by Him who lives forever and ever, who created heaven and the things that are in it, the earth and the things that are in it, and the sea and the things that are in it, that there should be delay no longer, 7 but in the days of the sounding of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, the mystery of God would be finished, as He declared to His servants the prophets.

Note again “as when a lion roars” in verse 3. Through the symbolism this angel indicates the power of the Trinity (“a rainbow was on his head” (Rev 4:3); “his face was like the sun” (Mal 4:2) “feet like pillars of fire” Ex 14:24). “He had a little book open in his hand” indicating the opening of the book of Revelation in the end time. In the final time he will overcome the power of the “beast out of the sea” and the “beast out of the earth” (Rev, chapter 13) “He set his right foot on the sea and his left foot on the land”. Then follows: “And cried with a loud voice as when a lion roars”. Because the “loud voice” of the angel is “as when a lion roars”, I believe this symbolism is of the greatest significance at the present time.

I say this for in the following verse we are told that the beast out of the sea has a mouth “like the mouth of a lion”.

Rev 13:2

Rev 13:1-2: 1 Then I stood on the sand of the sea. And I saw a beast rising up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and on his horns ten crowns, and on his heads a blasphemous name. 2 Now the beast which I saw was like a leopard, his feet were like the feet of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion.

The magnitude of the beast

To fully appreciate the strength of the mighty angel against the strength of the beast in the end time, one should understand the magnitude of the beast.

We can know what the “mouth” of the beast out of the sea utters for in Rev 13:12 we are told that the “beast out of the earth”, “exerciseth all the power of the first beast” (that is the “beast out of the sea”). We find the clue to what the mouth of the beast out of the sea that has the mouth of a lion utters through the analysis of Rev13:15. (For the full understanding of the beast out of the earth readers should consult the Q&A section of this website and the full analysis of the beast out of the earth.)

Readers should understand what Revelation is expressing through the “beast out of the sea” and the “beast out of the earth”. The “beast out of sea” and “the beast out of the earth” are each a massive symbol of the development of the forces of evil. The forces of the “beast out of the sea” are linked to the corruption of the leadership of the nations (kings) that would through the second millennium after the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, be replaced by secular rule of the people. Through this whole transition the Church would be preserved. The “beast out of the earth” is linked to the development of man’s ingenuity and expertise that would be factors in leading humanity away from the spiritual. Revelation reveals that these two forces that started innocently and with the best intentions developed into the massive force of anti-Christ that overtakes the nations at the present time (Rev 13:11:“And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, but he spoke as a dragon”). These two forces ultimately strengthened each other (Rev 13:12 “And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them that dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed”). “Whose deadly wound was healed” refers to the “death” of Christian leadership in the nations which was replaced by secular rule. In modern times the nations accept secular rule.

[The explanation of Rev 13:15

The time measures of Revelation were made known to me and through these one can understand the symbolism.

Rev 13:15 “And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.”

In Rev 13:15 Revelation is revealing aspects that contributed to the development of the beast out of the earth. This is done by linking the words of Revelation to happenings in specific years.

“And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast”

These words indicate the year 1952 in which frogs were cloned from tadpole cells. By adding 66 years to the year 1886, this date was discovered. 1886 + 66 =1952 Revelation reveals that this scientific breakthrough would lead to the cloning of animals in 2004 and 2005 (“give life’).

Revelation reveals later in Rev 16:14 that God will allow man to progress in scientific discovery. After that the nations will finally gather to Armageddon.

Rev 16:14 “For they (three unclean spirits like frogs) are the spirits of devils working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.”

Rev 13:15 (Second section) “That the image of the beast should both speak and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.”

In 1906 the radiotelephone was demonstrated in the United States. The triode “Audion” amplifying valve, that would largely improve telecommunication, was patented in New York (“that the image of the beast should both speak”). In other words the world–wide communication would propagate a freedom of faith. The words “as many as” reveal the meaning of “would not worship the image of the beast should be killed”. These words “as many as” are also used in Rev 2:24 and 3:19. In Rev 2:24 “as many as do not have this doctrine” reveals that in 1972 nations would make war against and kill those who did not worship freedom. This is so. This was the time of the end of the war in Vietnam, and later the nations would fight for freedom in Desert Storm, Bosnia and Iraq. Revelation reveals through the repetition of the words “as many as” in Rev 3:19 “As many as I love I rebuke” that in the time of the wars for freedom God both loves and chastises his people. 1906 + 66 = 1972

As mentioned “the beast out of the sea” symbolizes the transition of the rule of the nations during the second millennium after the Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the rule of kings to the rule of men. God allowed this transition (Rev 17:17 For God hath put in their hearts to fulfill his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled”). Therefore what comes out of the mouth the beast out of the sea (“as the mouth of a lion”) is the propagation of the rule of man that equalizes faiths before the law. This propagation would be by means of the world wide communications networks of the world in 2011. We know this through the understanding and analysis of Rev 13:15. How very appropriate and understandable this is for we know the great power of the media at the present time. Therefore Revelation uses the image of the lion which is the image of the great power of the “mouth” of the beast.

Because Revelation connects the loud voice of the mighty angel in Rev 10:3 “as when a lion roareth” through the image of the “lion” to the mouth of the beast out of the sea in Rev 13:2, I believe Revelation is revealing the great power of the media in the end time, but ultimately the powers of God symbolized through the mighty angel will prevail.

The desolation of Babylon

This understanding of the propagation of the rule of man in the end time brings to mind the crowds of protesters in the streets of cities at the present time. The citizens of the nations take to the streets to demand their rights and rebel against the decisions of governments. As I have shown in my books and on this website “Babylon”, the “great city” in Revelation symbolizes the entire commercially bound global village of the twenty-first century.

Revelation describes the moral fall of the nations in chapter 18.

Rev 18:2-3
2And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.
3For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.
When one takes the word “lion” to Scripture (keeping in mind what I have explained concerning the word “lion” in Revelation) the section in Jeremiah 51, namely verses 37-39 seems to illustrate what we see in streets of our cities.

Jeremiah 51:37-39
37And Babylon shall become heaps, a dwelling place for dragons, an astonishment, and an hissing, without an inhabitant. 38They shall roar together like lions: they shall yell as lions' whelps.
39In their heat I will make their feasts, and I will make them drunken, that they may rejoice, and sleep a perpetual sleep, and not wake, saith the LORD.

This reference in Jeremiah seems to combine the desolation of Babylon and the presence of the beast. Animals (beasts) have overtaken the cities of the world.
“Lion” the symbol of great power

When applied to the present day, through the knowledge that we are near the end time, the word “lion” in Revelation reveals the power of the beast, but also the greater power of the Trinity and the mighty angels to prevail in the end time.

The word “lions” appears twice in Revelation:

Rev 9:7-8
7And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.
8And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.
Rev 9:17

17And thus I saw the horses in the vision, and them that sat on them, having breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone.

These verses appear in the sounding of the fifth and sixth trumpets respectively. The trumpets sound in the end time. Revelation confirms the image of the “lion” to reveal “great power” in the end time. The locusts were “like unto horses prepared unto battle” and “their teeth were as the teeth of lions”. This image reveals the power of the beast in wars in the end time.

The image in Rev 9:17 seems to reveal the power of the Trinity. In Revelation the horses of the Apocalypse symbolize the transition from the rule of Christian kings to secular rule. The words “fire” and “brimstone” appear in Rev 19:20 “lake of fire burning with brimstone”. This is where the beast is destroyed. Therefore Revelation confirms through the image of the “lion” in “the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions” that the nations will despite the transition to secular rule in the final battle overcome the power of the beast.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ How Near Armageddon Forum ]